Sunday, January 25, 2009

Our Almost ONE! Year Old

I can't believe Sydney will be one in about a week. To think about what our lives were like this time last year compared to now is crazy! Each and every day over the last year has brought something new into our world. I cherish every bit of it.



I love thinking back to the blessed day she was born. I like to relive each minute of the day, even the parts that at the time I thought I'd never want to think about again. Still to this day when I drive past Fort Sanders where she was born, I get this weird feeling in my tummy -- I can't really describe it but it's pretty awesome. God has taught us so much through Sydney's birth and life. We praise Him for her.

The early days were filled with a whole lot of sitting and staring at her, absolutely in awe of God's goodness and power. I am still amazed at what a miracle she is, and what a gift she is.
Some of the early days were also filled with sleepless nights, frustration, tears, reading and rereading BabyWise, talking to other mamas including Ashley and mom, trying to keep Sydney awake in the day so she'd to sleep at night, dreading bathtime and getting her dressed (we spent many days in our pjs), enjoying feeding her, lots of swaddling, trips to Babies R Us, Mother Goose, and SOOO many more things.





Sydney at a year old!
- Walking, walking, and more walking - she is not happy unless she's walking. It has really made things tricky when I used to could run into a store and hold her, and now all she wants is down so she can explore!!
- She is definitely curious to see how serious we are about the word "NO". For example, she knows without a doubt that outlets are OFF LIMITS for her. She still goes up to them, and before touching them looks at me and grins....
- Some words we understand are dada, mama, dog, duck. It is fun to watch her follow instructions now like go get your blankey, monkey, baby, carrot...
- She blows kisses and waves
- She touches her head whenever we ask her where her head is, but also touches her head if we ask her where her ear, nose, mouth, etc are.
- She sleeps with the blanket my grandma made her
- She loves to dance - she gets this from her daddy
- She sucks her thumb when sleeping, sleepy, or upset.
- She LOVES the dogs (even though I have days like today where I was ready to give them away...anyone interested???)
- She is still eating baby food, but sure loves healthy foods like pizza, quesidillas, cheese, cheese, and more cheese:) She enjoys fruit, yogurt, applesauce, waffles...
- She is sleeping (most nights) from about 8 to 7 or so...
- She has 2.5 teeth
- She's afraid of the vacuum cleaner but knows it's okay since her daddy is afraid of it too:)
- She loves bath time
- She is totally potty trained .... HAHA this is a joke for those of you still reading
- She still has seperation anxiety...nursery, babysitters, new faces..these have all been a challenge. I think she's doing better though:)


Thanks for reading. I will post pics next time of her bday party!

16 comments:

Cindy said...

What a proud mommy you are...and understandably so! It's fun to look back over all those many milestones in that first year. It's amazing how much they learn!! Sydney is a doll! Happy almost birthday!

Holly Aytes said...

I loved seeing the picture of you pregnant....you were so cute pregnant just that little basketball bump :) Sydney is so cute and I can't believe it has been almost a year, where does the time go? Continue to enjoy these times (both good and bad) b/c before you know your baby will be halfway through 3rd grade :)

L said...

sweet, sweet Sydney!! she's just precious...i loved the recap of her first year!

Sara said...

Enjoyed reading all Sydney's milestones. It is truly amazing how fast a year can go by! I'm already getting sentimental about Grant turning one in 2 months.

She is a beautiful baby. I know you are proud!

H Vest said...

What a fun blog to read! Those are some special first- year memories with her. It's hard to believe she'll be one next week! She's grown into a beautiful little girl, full of personality and good laughs! Looking forward to seeing her in Kentucky!

H Vest said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sara said...

Your background is so cute! I really enjoyed reading your blog. I can completely relate to your sentiments about the joys and challenges of the past year. Your thoughts were beautifully stated. You are a terrific mother and Sydney is one amazing little girl. I'm blessed to know and love you both!

Anonymous said...

Yahoo for the party! I'm so excited.

Anonymous said...

what a cool entry on your blog!

Jessica said...

One whole year...unbelievable. I feel like we were just pregnant together! Allison you are a wonderful mother to Sydney- she is blessed to have such giving, patient, self-sacrificing, and very FUN parents! We are looking forward to the party!

Michael, Stephanie, and Carter said...

I read the potty trained sentence and thought, wow, they did that fast! Just wishful thinking! Love you guys!

Roochita said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Roochita said...

That was possibly my favorite blog thus far! It's neat to see all the things she is doing since I haven't gotten a chance to see her in almost a year now :-( She is a ball of personality and I can't wait to see her again in another month (and of course you Al my Pal)!!

April said...

Happy Birthday, Sydney! I enjoyed having you in Bible class tonight. You are a sweetie.

Anonymous said...

I love this blog...you are becoming quite the blogger! She is really growing and I can't believe a year has gone by. What a doll!

Anonymous said...

hurry up and post another blog please!!!